Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Variety is the Spice of Life

First of all let me say that I LOVE my box.  I have worked out at other affiliates and no one compares.  I am obviously biased but my gym is better than your gym.  Let me prove it:

So just last week I was running (which I never do) and it was hot as balls and I was thinking to myself as I often do when I'm running (since its boring as hell) and I was thinking everyone's journey to their goals is a lonely one.  Ultimately its just you out there working your ass off.  No one can make you do it but yourself and no one is going to push you but yourself.  And just as I was making peace with the idea that I will have to be alone on this super fat journey, I turned the corner and there was one of my clients waiting for me to run the last lap with me.  I think tears might have welled up in my eyes (or I mean its just allergies, I'm cool).  It proved to me, no you are absolutely not alone if you work out at a gym as awesome as mine.  And I am so blessed to work out at the best gym ever because some people's boxes are not as cool.  Let me tell you about it.

We recently had someone come in and tell us they were working out at another box and they weren't happy.  This other box really focuses on the sexy met con and always does like ridiculous chippers.  He said he hadn't really touched a barbell since he had been there.  Luckily, when he came in to check us out we were in the middle of snatching and jerking our faces off.  He liked what he saw.  He's leaving his box for ours.  We are the smoking hot CrossFit mistress.

The GREAT thing about CrossFit is that we are a community that isn't really ruled by one almighty corporate fat cat.  You get your certs, apply for affiliation, boom you're there.  We are grassroots at its grass rootiest.  It takes a certain type of person to do CrossFit and we have the hope that everyone is like us that owns an affiliate.  Not always the case.  I would never want to trash another box or their programming.  We have definitely hoboed our way onto the sexy met con train once or twice.  Luckily we realized and hopped of somewhere outside of O lift City.  A place where dreams come true and the royal family's last name is Burgener.

I found a brilliant article called "Beware the Sexy Met Con" by our friends over at CrossFit Whole Nine in Dallas before they de-affiliated (which I won't get into because I ain't into politics)
Here is the fantastic article

http://whole9life.com/2009/12/beware-the-lure-of-the-sexy-met-con/

So remember met-con is fun and doing 50 reps of 50 different things can be a seriously badass tool in your badassery tool bag.  But the barbell is where its at people.  You'll never see gain in strength and general awesomeness like you will with load bearing workouts.  That's just science and you can google it (my answer for everything).  You will become a more well rounded athlete with CONSTANTLY VARIED, FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENTS, EXECUTED AT HIGH INTENSITY! You will also become less of an asshole, I promise.
PS you're not alone in your journey.  I am here for you and that's why sometimes you will only see one set of footprints in the sand.  I am back-squating you.

No comments:

Post a Comment