Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I Can't Even Sit On The Toilet....

that's how sore I am!!!  I hear it all the time but even more than that I feel it all the time.  Every morning when I wake up I move my body just the slightest bit to see what hurts and then I start to formulate a plan to get up and stairs and down onto and then up off the toilet.  Some times it is just a matter of grinning and bearing it. 
I also have a LOT of people mistake soreness for injury or they quit working out because they are too "sore".  Well I decided to to some research. And by research I mean I typed into the search bar on Mark's Daily Apple.  Just so you guys know I think Mark is the definitive on EVERYTHING.  So I often consult him on my queries even before I ask God.  He's that smart.

So of course he had a great article about being sore and while some of the stuff I already knew, (like stretching has no scientific proof that it actually helps) some other stuff I didn't.  And here you are my lovelies:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/muscle-soreness-causes-relief/

I will say one thing though.  I used to live with an Athletic Trainer and one day she saw me hobbling around the house and when I asked her about stretching or taking an anti-inflammatory she said absolutely not.  Taking anti-inflammatories can prolong the healing process so stay away from those.

In my own experience I have found that the more you do something the more used to it you become.  AAAAAAAnd since I have gone paleo my recovery time is a lot quicker.  Imagine that!  Your diet can actually improve your workouts??? Whaaaa??  Yeah its true.  So quit eating crap and you won't feel like crap.  Der.


P.S. This weekend I did a horrendous workout (worst ever), that I invented and because I was so proud of myself for not literally dying I decided to reward myself with my fav which is obviously PBR and lots of them.  Lets talk for just a second about how much of a mistake that was.  I generally don't drink or go out during the week since I have to be at the gym at the ass crack of dawn so Saturday is my night to get crazy.  And I did and it sucked...I felt like shit the next day, spent money I shouldn't have, and gained like a million pounds.  Plus I couldn't work out for two days.  And now I feel fat and disgusting and generally like a worse person altogether.  So I leave you with this thought: Is it worth it?  Is that fleeting moment of PBR (or chocolate cake, or plate of pasta) worth how it will make you feel/look later?  Is it worth throwing away all the hard work you put yourself through in the gym? Before you can answer, NO IT IS NOT WORTH IT!  NO NO  NO. Stop it.  Seriously.  Yes I am talking to myself just as much as to you if not more.  Listen very carefully to me.  PUT DOWN the snickers and back away.  Now take the biggest step forward you can till your knee is touching the ground...now another...see those are lunges...aren't those nice? So much better for your ass.  Good.  Now lunge toward the light and away from the fat.  Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment