Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Holy Rhabdo Batman!



Ok so yesterday's WOD was unforgivable to say the least.  It was bad...basically 55 deadlifts with 10 rounds of Cindy.  If you don't know what that means its 50 pullups 100 pushups and 150 squats plus all those deadlifts.  And with all the lunges and snatches I did the day before I was not having it AT ALL.

My ass was on fire by round 7 and I definitely wanted to quit.  Because I'm a trainer I have to fit my workouts in when no one is in the gym which means no one pushing me which means I want to quit like every second.  So yesterday even during my warmup I did not want to be doing this crap.  Its like that sometimes, you get out of bed and you know you need to workout but you would rather get kicked in the crotch for time than do anything.  As trainers we go through it too.  Probably worse because we don't have anyone yelling at us to keep going or stop whining.  We are left to our own devices and sometimes that is not awesome.

So I thought today I would talk about making yourself do crap you don't want to do.  I struggle with it from the time I get up (5:30 am effing kill me) to the time I go to bed.  I can think of a billion, literally one billion reasons to not work out.  It is a constant struggle mentally for me every day to get off my fat ass and pick up the barbell and go to O lift city.  Sometimes I want to be in biscuit and gravy town.

These are the times it is most important to push through the pain and KEEP GOING!  I have never heard someone come in after a workout and say "I should've stayed home and been fat!"  This stuff is like 85% mental.  I'm not even kidding.  I have seen people miss lifts over and over, tell me they can't do another rep, or say they want to quit and I just tell them "give me one more!" and they ALWAYS do.  Unfortunately I don't have someone standing there helping me through it.  But I do have you, and you inspire me to keep going.  I could never ask you to do something I wouldn't at least attempt myself, therefore when I want to stop and need to keep going it is my clients that keep pushing me because I know what I would say to them.  Isn't that beautiful? Don't you want to hug it out?

So that's what I want to say to you today.  This shit is hard.  Seriously hard.  I tell people all the time that the hardest part about working out is walking through the front door.  Getting here is literally the worst part.  After that, its cake boos.  Its only moderate temporary discomfort.  I know it feels like death is upon you but I promise YOU WILL FEEL BETTER having done SOMETHING.  So when you really don't want to do it and you can think of a billion reasons not to, those are the days you have to force yourself to keep going.  Don't let those doubts sink in and don't let your mind tell you you can't do something.  You can do it, you can do anything!  And if you are having trouble overcoming those thoughts just get through the front door and I promise my yelling will drown everything out.  I can yell loud.  That teach you that in Personal Trainer School.

Get out there and WORK!  I am holding your hand metaphysically speaking...but if you want me to actually hold your hand its $50 an hour.  Yeah, I'm that good. Clearly

2 comments:

  1. Dear Snatchalotta: Greetings from Biscuit and Gravy Town. Cindys don't exactly sound like cake boos but you've piqued my interest. Knock, knock Paleoville...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say only go for it if you want to be fat free, disease free, and stronger...

    ReplyDelete